Human beings have become far too sensitive as people; and of course extremely manipulative too…
Racism is now a word used to a person’s advantage and often people with half-baked knowledge create the hue and cry to support this superficial manipulation of a word I take quite seriously.
Of course if you’re reading this, you will say “You’re Indian and you are going to support the Indians.”. Well, no. I’m not blind. But racism is far too over-used a word and more often that not, it is completely unnecessary. Rather than bring people together, if you're men from two different cultures and you have an argument -it is likely one will be accused of racism simply because he can be!
Thanks to work I haven’t been able to follow the cricket much so I don’t know if Harbhajan Singh called Symonds a monkey. If he did, he is an ignorant man lacking in sporting spirit. It doesn’t make him racist but it doesn’t condone him either.
If so, I’m sure the Australian cricket team should long have been banned from cricket for the “sour-nothings” they rapidly mutter under their breath; not just against India but most cricketing teams.
More importantly, if so, it amazes me that Andrew Symonds did not feel the need to make a complaint after the Vadodara incident.
Read this – it’s what an Aussie journo has to say.
The Indian team and the BCCI too is blowing things out of proportion and marching ahead on the war path blinded by fury; not prepared to see reason. If Harbhajan did make those comments, he owes Symonds an apology and that’s where it should end. There is no reason for Harbhajan or the Indian team to behave like spoilt brats and sulk while Papa BCCI takes care of everything.
I don’t know enough about cricket to declare what would be fair. Boys will be boys. But I think both Indians and Aussies should grow up and simply play the game.
....Of course there’s also the matter of the $52 I have spent on tickets to the Gabba for the One-Dayer in Feb.
oh grow up!
Unknown Tuesday, January 08, 2008 3 comments
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (RSS)
3 Responses to "oh grow up!"
Keep up the good work. Cheers:-)
Poor fellas, the backless ICC coined rules that is so 'generic' that they forgot to include 'cultural background' along with worldwide accepted rules for 'racism' (am sure they lifted the clauses from some existing document when they coined the rules). Harbhajan supposedly claims he said 'maadharki' which is not a racist slur but a slur that insults Symonds mom. Border claims 'u lucky bastard' is their way of calling someone lucky. 'maadharki' is worse by Indian way of life but monkey isn't, but former is ok/common by Australian standards but monkey isn't. Atlast, Kumble stood up or rather behaved like a grown up, punter is still standing by his grassed catch in the name of 'integrity'. In the mean time ppl forgot Laxman's surgeon like century and Sachin's blissful 154*. Alas.
@marilyn: thanks
@germinal: agreed. the game was forgotten as is always is in such stupid controversies..
Post a Comment