same difference..

Yes, I believe in God. As Orkut would have me define it, I am "spiritual but not religious". At least not overtly. I do certain things, things which make sense. I am not blindly religious. I am Hindu, by birth. I've studied in a Christian institution for 16 years and have had friends from every caste and creed and never, EVER, felt the need to discriminate.

Christianity is like my second religion. It's hard to study in Loreto and not know so much about Christianity. But Loreto has ALWAYS taught me about how peace-loving the religion is, and has told me all about how good it is. In fact, I haven't just been told, I've learnt first hand about the goodness from principals who were really amazing.

I have had Muslim friends and never given a thought to the animosity that is supposed to exist.

And, I have had Sikh, Sindhi, and Zorashtrian friends.

I also have friends of different castes and people from different states. And we all know, that in India, different states practice a different brand of Hinduism....so it's as good as making friends with people of different religions. I have also always wanted to make friends with a Pakistani.

My boyfriend's half Parsi, half Coorghi.

I have a Gujarati aunt, an Italian uncle, a Maharashtrian brother-in-law, a Parsi aunt.

And everyone has always happily coexisted.

Yet......yet.....YET.

Today, at the bus stop...two strange things happened.

I was sitting next to a guy who I assumed was Indian. He looked me up and down, and turned away. It pissed me off but I didn't bother. Then a Korean girl sat down on the other side and he started chatting. He said he was from Kashmir, and the girl said "India?". He got so mad. He said "No. Kashmir belongs to Pakistan. Don't you know that? Why's the world so ignorant?" And then he turned around, looked straight at me and said "Bloody Indians!"

At another bus stop, another guy came and sat down next to me and started chatting with me. Suddenly, he asked me "Do you believe in God?"...Obviously taken aback that the guy would ask me something like that in a conversation that had been going on for only 5 minutes...but I very hesitanty replied..."Y-Y-e-ess." Then it started.

He went on and on about how Jesus is coming back and how he is the supreme God. I told him that I didn't believe that..and Jesus wasn't the supreme God. He got so mad. He got up, very calmly told me that it didn't matter what I believed, Jesus was coming back and I would regret it. And, he said I could go back to him because he would forgive me.

Maybe I'm not just talking about religion...but differences really. But I'm just a little pissed off, a little shocked, a little irritated...and a little something I can't explain.

7 Responses to "same difference.."

~Moo-lah Buz!nezzz~ responded on 12:14 am #

This is one sensitive issue,where I really dunno whether I should comment or not.But whatever.
Yes,I think on the similar lines,as you do.But sadly 90% of human beings dont. :)
Christianity is like my second relegion too.And ive had lotsa muslim,parsee,jain and other multicultaral-multilingual friends.I'm not an atheist,but trust me,at his age religion always brings in that fine line which u aint supposed to cross.

On a lighter note....
*yaay,u r one of my christian loreto sisters!!I was from Bosco.:-P
*Orkut defines me as Neo-Paganist!!
*Italian uncle!!Shit!You are lucky!!!!!!

spanks and kisses responded on 6:50 pm #

wow!!!!!!!
that wa the most secular post i have ever come accross!
but jokes apart...but if u look at carefully these are only inatitutions to comprehend men to bow down b4 something which is created by men...infact we dont have to have frnds and relatives from all the creeds, but we have to have that feeling of peace and love for all... i despise the time when am born!! of 6/12..or godhra...

Llama responded on 3:15 pm #

It is sad that we create divisions when there really shouldn't be any. Though good or bad, it does add to the drama.

Unknown responded on 2:47 pm #

@moolah: lol..yea...i get to a lot of pasta!
@spanks n kisses: yea i know religion is man made..n it jst gets on my nerves some times
@poojo: oh yes..lots of drama!

thus spaeke chico...... responded on 3:27 am #

relax you dear child...
dont let such freaks shake your seculrism and moral science instilled in you by them lj nuns.

and dont get so perturbed by such irrational knowledge ....

to make tyou feel better..muy rooom mate,a mallu,was of the opinion that agra was in goa,burma was in colombo,shimla was a state and that the pakistan is near china.
maybe the guy was just a god geograhy teacher.!!!or was a victim of politics and warfare.!!who knows.

you are indian.so m i.and all of everything unimportant to id that you are
mwah baby! and peace!!!

Anonymous responded on 3:51 am #

What strange people...

Sphinx responded on 1:45 pm #

are you serious?
this actually happened?
shit man, it is he who is ignorant. Do not pay heed to such matters, your identity and religion should be private and people should not 'be god' and tell you what is right or wrong. Thats just fucked up!
I feel for you. I am in a middle of finding out what I believe in myself and I don't think that road is ending anytime soon.