Last night I re-read The Kite Runner. I am not a person given to crying over books and movies but no other book has made me as sad as this book has. I reread it not just coz it's the only book I have here with me but because it affected me so profoundly the first time round. I miss my books. I miss my space. The one thing I don't miss is solitude. I have lots of that..yet I left "my space" back at home.
Although the story is something I cannot personally relate to, the one thing which struck me was being away from home. I remember telling someone once that when you move out of home, you think that "home" will always stay the same and nothing will be out of place when you go back. You know that's not possible logically but when has logic ever worked where emotions are concerned. I've been away for just about 2 months and I probably cannot qualify this statement like my father or my sister but I know that this is exactly what I expect.
I have always had trouble dealing with change. Of course, my life doesn't come to a standstill or anything like it but I do have trouble adjusting. I am attached to very few things, very few people, very few emotions and I hate having to let go of that comfort zone. The first time I realised how averse I was to change was after ICSE in class 10. I didn't cry when my whole class was bawling their eyes out because I had no idea what was to come. Sure, I was still in LH, but a lot of the people I knew as classmates, as friends were now in different places doing different things. There were so many new faces..and it was little hard getting used to it.
Then college happened. The change was obviously more drastic...and hence equally depressing for me. For a whole year, I hated going to college. I had friends yes, they are the best friends I've ever had, but I hated it. I cribbed, complained, cried. Then one fine morning, it was gone and I loved going to college....and sometimes I wish I hadn't taken that long getting used to the place...coz I miss so much about it now!
Now, going away from home. No I can't say I've got over the change. I still try to put an imaginary date in my head as the day I will be headed home.....There are days when I miss it so much I cry and even that doesn't take the pain away. I just cry till my tears dry up and I don't even feel better. In time I tell myself. In time.
What struck me while reading Kite Runner last night was the way Amir hated being reminded of Afghanistan because of his ugly past. I don't have an ugly past at home...it's the most beautiful past. Yet, yet I hate being reminded of home. I mean I always think about it. When I look at the beach, I think about Jingle would've enjoyed it, when I look at the roller coasters I think about how Runki would've gone crazy on them, when I look at my house, I think about how my parents would have loved them, when I look at clothes I think about fashion crazy girls.. Runki and Koni... Small things..big things...remind me of home all the time. Yet I'd rather not be consciously reminded of them.
I probably don't quite make sense but I'll try and explain. I have always associated everything. For example, I'd associate a movie with the people I went to watch it with, a restaurant with the people I went there with etc. Hence, I don't like watching Rang De Basanti anymore because it reminds me of my college friends, and the great time we had on that day. I have a few photographs put up in my room, but apart from that, I don't like looking at the rest of the pictures of my laptop. I miss my dog so much I have his photo as the wallpaper on my phone but I don't like looking at his pictures otherwise. Small, silly things like this affect me a lot. I know if I do things like this, I will just miss home more, so for now, I just choose to avoid them. It's probably very escapist..but that's the only way I can deal with it right now because confronting my emotions only means dealing with something I can't handle right now...I will change...in time. Until then, I will remain a workaholic by day, and insomniac by night...
Yet paradoxically, I love the internet even more than I used to earlier..because it is the only way I get news of home everyday.
I am happy here and I am glad I came here....but I wish life wasn't always about choices. I wish we always had home..wherever we went. Home is where the heart is, and my heart is in Calcutta, with everything I've always known as home, my family, my friends, my school, my college, MY SPACE.
All i want is everything....
Unknown Tuesday, April 24, 2007 7 comments
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (RSS)
7 Responses to "All i want is everything...."
i think i remember writing somewhere.... or questioning rather... how one can ever get over home?how can one stop missing home and all thatit stands for or represents.
muy heart still breaks and cries.
i survive in wisps and threads os memories,nostalgia and all of that about home,school,family et al....
the entire city is muy home,
every street,a puchka wallah, a coffee shop,a parking lot.....
neon memoies and a gazillion sunsets.
i found love.i fell in love. and i re discoeverd other loves.
the only time i cried...in public...was when i was leaving school... and it was on your shoulders.(after which that bitch sr sunanda had to come charging...)
i left school,i left school again... and that time,the city too.
im about to leave college,another city... and once again.. muy city....
im not scraed.... just sad that im leaving again.... will i be able to say a proper good bye to all... and everything....
its scary... yes it is....
hi. I finally read 'the kite runner' and i felt this wave of nostalgia. Not waves, waves. They just kept coming. I wondered where my childhood went. Where were all those days spent being carefree and wild without a care in the world. It sounds so cliche and yet its there.
- Aveek (jester) I found a link of urs on my sisters orkut profile. would have left it at that had i not noticed that you too had a blog. sorry if i'm bothering you but i owed a thanks to the person who made me read such a beautiful book and would much appreciate it if she kept recommending books like these to read. Thanks
xxx
@jester - ur welcome. who is ur sister anyway?
prianca bhaduri. you know her from lh i guess.
you read any good books lately? I'm literally dying for a good read...
I've been away from home for more than eight months and I managed to survive, remember and block. But I guess, not being that far away as you are is the reason I'm okay about the changes. I've wanted them too much to think otherwise.
I think you'll just do fine. Afterall, you are not freaking out or anything. It's not escapism but you are just learning to deal with changes in your way, and it takes time to settle down.
hi! Reading this reminded me so much of my time away from home, in India (especially the importance of internet ;)). Now i'm back home and i can't stop thinking of going away again. what i mean to say, don't worry, don't cry, you'll be back sooner than you think and everything will still be exactly the same, with the same positive and negative side-effects ;). Honestly, I think Australia is something different to handle than India, but i'm sure you'll find your place :). and btw, nice blog! like reading it :)
@kavitha and saartje: thanks. :) i guess u both know what its like living away from home..
Post a Comment